Are you looking for a new type of fabric for your next project? You already know that Nature’s Fabrics carries affordable retail and wholesale fabrics. But did you know that we also have a wide selection of PUL fabric?
Polyurethane laminate fabric (PUL) is a special type of waterproof fabric ideal for numerous types of uses. Here’s what you need to know about PUL fabric, plus a few ideas of projects you can complete using it.
The Process of Making PUL Fabric
Polyurethane laminate fabric starts off as a knit fabric. It is then laminated on both sides to make it fully waterproof. The design was originally created for use in hospitals, but those outside the medical community now see the value in using this type of material for a wide range of projects. Best of all, PUL fabric is extremely washable and wears well after repeated cleanings in hot water.
PUL Fabric Projects for Families
If you’re looking for something to make out of PUL fabric, there are tons of different options to choose from. Our team at Nature’s Fabrics particularly loves these ideas:
- Cloth Diapers/Overnight Training Pants: The waterproof fabric holds up great to repeated washings and the slight stretch makes it super comfortable for your little one to wear.
- Car Seat Liners: Keep juice drips and snack spills from reaching your backseat upholstery.
- Laundry Bags: Whether you’re coming back from the pool with wet swimsuits or someone had an accident while at the park, a waterproof laundry bag is something every parent needs to have.
- Pet Diapers: Older pets and un-spayed females sometimes need diapers and the ones at the pet store can be expensive. Instead, make your own!
- Art Mats: If your little ones get sloppy during creative time, a floor mat made of PUL can help minimize the mess.
Projects Using PUL Fabrics for Seniors
It isn’t just families with kids that can find use in items made with polyurethane laminate fabric. Those who have a senior in the household or a loved one in a care facility can use this type of material to create a variety of helpful options. For example, PUL fabric is great for making custom size sanitary pads or bed mats. It can also be used to upholster chairs or create seat covers for those who have incontinence issues.
Tips for Sewing with Polyurethane Laminate Fabric
And these are just a few of the many things you can use polyurethane laminate material for. The waterproof properties make it a great choice for so many different household projects, that there’s a good chance you’ll think of something else, too!
Of course, there are a few things you need to keep in mind when sewing with PUL. First, always use a polyester thread. If you don’t, it could snag and pull. Also, you need a foot on your sewing machine and always use clips instead of pins to keep from puncturing the fabric.
Nature’s Fabrics is Your Online Fabric Store
Are you ready to see all the fantastic PUL fabric prints we have available? Click here to see our current inventory of PUL fabrics.